433 Newberry Street, SW, Aiken, SC 29801
Tuesday - Saturday 10 am-5 pm
Sunday - 2 pm-5 pm
Named 'Banksia' after the Banksia Rose, which graces the brick wall near the entrance, the museum is actually two houses joined together with the older section dating to 1840. The large brick portion was built in 1931 as a Winter Colony home by Willis Irvin for Mr. Richard Howe, who married into the Deering family. His initials are above the door.
The grand home, with 32 rooms, fifteen bathrooms and one ballroom, has been a boarding house, a college campus and a public library.
Permanent exhibits include Aiken County history, the story of Ellenton, education, ecology, and the Winter Colony. Throughout the year, there are at least ten additional special exhibits.
Also on the museum property is a one room schoolhouse, circa 1890's,
the Ergle log cabin from the early 1800's, William Gregg's buttery, a working watering trough, and a 1800's heliometer.
William Gregg Buttery
181 Redcliffe Road, Beech Island
Redcliffe's August 2014 Newsletter
Hours of Operation:
Grounds: 9am-6pm, Th-M
Office Hours: 11am-noon, daily
Tours: Th-M: 11am, 1pm, 3pm
Park admission is free.
$5, age 16 & up
$3, SC Seniors
$4, youth ages 6-15
Pets are allowed in most outdoor areas provided they are kept under physical restraint or on a leash not longer than six feet.
National Register of Historic Places
The former home of South Carolina Governor James Henry Hammond and three generations of his descendants. Together, Redcliffe and the Hammonds weathered war, political upheaval and economic calamity. James Henry Hammond's great-grandson, John Shaw Billings, began restoring the mansion to its 19th-century grandeur in 1935. Mr. Billings, once the editor of Time, Life, and Fortune magazines, donated the estate and its collections in 1973 to the people of South Carolina. The gift ensured that his family's beloved homeplace would be preserved.
Redcliffe Historic Barn Restoration